Thursday, June 23, 2011

And just so you know, that is also a lego in your bra.

So, I'm laying in bed right now tired as all get out, but I am unable to sleep. Why? You ask. Well, it seems my toddler has a knack for not going to bed early when mommy has had HARDLY any sleep. Therefore, her hyperness rubs off on me. She has now crashed into a pile of disney-princess pajamas and blankets next to me and I am absolutely, still, awake. This got me thinking: how MUCH changes when you're a mom. I find myself saying "this is when you know you're a mom" or "you know you're a mom when..." after I say a lot of things. So, I figured I would make my own little list of what makes me pause and say: "Yep. I'm a mom." :D

Your relaxing bath turns into World War Three with plastic bath toys. By this I mean, you have to dig through piles and piles of plastic boats, squirt toys, foam alphabet letters, baby loofas, and rubber duckies to even clear out enough space to sit when you decide to take a bubble bath. When you draw your warm, lavender scented bubble bath and take a seat, ready to relax....you discover the rubber ducky has decided to cop a feel. When you reach for the shampoo, about ninety plastic boats topple over back in to the tub. Ah, so much for relaxing. Yep. I'm a mom.

You bounce and sway...a lot. If you're used to holding a little baby; rocking them to sleep. You find yourself rocking back and forth or bouncing your leg at the most awkward times: like standing in line at the bank, grocery shopping, or actually (and I've caught myself doing it)...in the car at a redlight. :/ Again -> I'm a mom.

You couldn't function in school on eight hours of sleep. Now, you can go days on three hours. Yes. The infamous: zombie mommy. That's me. I'm a pro at going days and days with hardly any sleep at all. Am I pleasant then? Probably not unless you're wearing a diaper...and under the age of 2. However, I can get things done when the tank is on E. Yup; I'm a mom.

Forget a "friend you totally trust"...Nick Jr. is like that friend that is really good with your kids, but the one that you don't like to see too often because they annoy the crap out of you. Meaning...I continuously catch myself in the shower or laying in bed with Dora The Explorer stuck in my head; or at dinner "Party in my Tummy" goes over and over in my brain. Ireland tells me she's sorry; and of course someone in the family has to sing I'm So Sorry. Haha. Not to mention, cleaning up always brings out the "What's gonna work? TEEEEEEAAAAMMMMWORK!" in me. Yes, Nick Jr...I love you because you make my daughters very happy. However, I feel slightly odd that I know ALL of your songs; but couldn't tell you what's "new" on the radio anymore. Again, I am so a mom.


You're growing down. I, more times than I like to admit, find myself watching Nick Jr. or Disney Junior when my babies are long gone to bed or naptime. I don't mean I have it on for background noise; I mean...I will watch on the edge of my seat wondering what in the world Blue could possibly want Steve (because I don't like Joe) to eat with a spoon, a bowl, and veggies. Hmmmmm....


You like Steve. You hate Joe. Yep. I pick favorites when it comes to Blue's clues. :D

You can relate to everything easier...at least involving kids. Casey Anthony makes me want to puke; so does anyone who could hurt a baby. Not just that, but anything else I see on TV or hear about that's scary or troubling; the first thing I want to do is just hug and kiss my girls and let them know that I love them; and that I will never let that happen to them. Ever.

Poop. Oh yes, I went there. You are DEFINITELY, no doubt about it a mom when you're sitting at the table eating lunch and discussing the contents of your child's diaper with your sister; and she is doing the same. Oh, and here's the doozy: it doesn't BOTHER EITHER OF YOU!.

Poop Volume 2. You can spot a messy diaper from a mile away; and know which kid it is. Haha.

Wild NIGHTS!...okay, well, they involve Monkey Joe's and Pizza. Maybe staying up until midnight watching disney movies and eating chocolate doughnuts on a pallet on the floor with a toddler and a chunky little infant. :)

FOUR doors please. Two door cars aren't cool anymore; I don't care how pretty a car is; when you have a kid....you DO NOT want one of those two door cars. You think "breaking your back" is what it feels like? Oh no...it's horrible. Much worse. I'm an SUV girl now.

Mommy...where are you? NOT in the family pictures. You're behind the camera all the time taking pictures of every moment they are breathing; but you're hardly ever in the pictures yourself.

Sleeping In? That means, sleeping IN between two little girls in a queen size bed.
Sometimes smaller than that lol.

Movies. You get so excited over the new Lion King edition coming out. You can name every Tinkerbell fairy; every princess; and probably recite every word from every fairytale movie. And your movie countdowns aren't for YOU anymore: they're counting down when the Pooh Bear movie is coming out. Just so you can take your kiddos. :)

Concerts, smoncerts. I'd much rather see Yo Gabba Gabba Live!.

You talk like a baby. I contantly find myself saying "Thank yoooouuu" like Ireland or "HI HI" (high five). Or sometimes even "I sowwy". Not to mention, sometimes catching yourself talking to other adults like you speak to your kid; without meaning to. :)

Is that a cereal bar? In your shoe? Oh yes. And just so you know, that is also a lego in your bra.

Sippie Cup Champion. If one of them loses their bottle/sippy cup/paci in the car; you can find it with ease. ;)

Baby Picasso? Yeah, you're definitely a mom when your artwork isn't expensive, beautiful framed work from Pier 1 or somewhere like that. It's when your white door has blue crayon on it. Your legs have pen marks all over them; and your pretty journal looks like someone exploded a green sharpie on it. That's artwork. :)

Superwoman. You know you're a mom when you can get every bodily fluid on you and not cringe. When your babies are sick and you don't care what ends up on you or if you end up catching it as long as your babies feel better. You know you're a mom when everything you do revolves around two little girls' smiles.

It's tiring being a mom. I would never change it though. I'm glad I don't know everything about it either; I'm glad I get to figure it out as I go. It makes it fun...well, even more fun than it already is. I love watching them grow and play; and develop a love for each other. Words can't explain how it feels to be a mom. It's good, it's bad, it's pretty, and it's ugly, it's fun and it's tiring; but nothing in the world is more rewarding.

Now, after that random little blog I'm going to get my reward for today...that's a kiss from a little blue eyed baby who is sleeping in her crib ever so soundly; and cuddle up next to a quirky grey-eyed baby who is passed out right beside me and call it a night.

It's another day at the circus tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment